All Communities EyeBlog

Eye on Rye: March 14 to March 18

Ongoing Events
  • Food Security Week: March 14 to 18—Join the Community Food Room for talks and workshops on the social and societal factors that determine who has access to food. Scroll down to find out about specific events.
  • Choreographic Works: March 9 to March 19—Ryerson’s very talented dancers perform works choreographed by their fellow students. Support Ryerson talent and add some culture to your week at the same time. Check here for showtimes. Ryerson Theatre, $14 for students or $18 for general admission
Monday, March 14
  • Food Security Week: Food Inc. Screening—This controversial movie exposes the dark side of the food industry and the agencies that monitor it. SCC Second floor lounge, 1 p.m.
  • LIVE LIBRARY—Are you an Arts student? If so, this really only applies to you. Here’s a chance to meet with pros in your discipline to discuss getting a job with that nifty B.A. POD 250, 1o a.m.

Tuesday, March 15

• Food Security Week: Soup—Free soup on campus! Flavours are TBA, but be sure to ask questions if you have allergies. Outside the SCC, noon

Wednesday, March 16

• Food Security Week: Farmers Market—Check it out if you’re interested in eating local on a budget. Outside the SCC, noon

Thursday, March 17

• Food Security Week Lunch & Learn—The topic of discussion is racism, poverty, and food security. Free lunch will be provided too. SCC Room G, noon
  • A night with Paul Rosen, Paralympic Sledge Hockey Player—RyeACCESS presents this talk and Q&A with Paul Rosen,  the #1 sledgehockey goaltender in the world. Free food will be provided, and you might even get an autograph out of it. SCC 115, 6 p.m.

Friday, March 18

• Food Security Week: H.O.M.E.S. Night (Health, Opportunities, Meals, Equality, Security)—Another night of dance, spoken word and art to raise funds to fight poverty. There’ll be vegetarian and vegan goodies for sale. Thomas Lounge, 8 p.m., $5
  • Ryerson’s Next Top Speaker Competition—It’s like America’s Next Top Model, you see, but with public speaking. Finalists have already been determined, but people are invited to come watch the competition and help themselves to some free food. CMA Ontario Student Lounge (TRS 1-003) in Ted Rogers, 4 p.m.
  • St. Patrick’s Day with the PSA!—Celebrate this solemn holiday with Rye’s Psychology Student Association. Green garb is encouraged. 
  • The Armenian Students’ Association at Ryerson Present:”Turkey and the Armenian Genocide: Why Deny?”—If you’re into anti-oppression, history or being politically well-rounded, check out this talk on the Armenian genocide. LIB 72, 7:30 p.m.

Get in touch with community editor Allyssia Alleyne on Twitter at @AllyssiaAlleyne or @TheEyeopener if you want your event covered or want to chat about your Ryerson community. She can also be reached via email at communities@theeyeopener.com

Seriously, do it.

Photo by Marta Iwanek