By guest blogger Lesia Polischuk
This ginger orange cookie recipe is a fresh take on the traditional ginger molasses cookie, though it’s just as delicious and easy to make. It’s not your typical shortbread cookie, or wintery fruit cake, but this zesty, flavourful treat complements your morning coffee just as well.
The ginger adds the warmth we long for in the winter months, while the orange makes us think of summer! The perfect all-season treat.
Orange Ginger Cookies
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 molasses or dark corn syrup
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons soda
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- some orange zest
- splash of orange juice
- Combine brown sugar, shortening and egg. Blend until fluffy.
- Mix in molasses or dark corn syrup, salt, soda, ginger, orange zest and orange juice.
- Add flour slowly and blend.
- Chill dough for an hour or overnight.
- Roll into walnut-sized balls, or roll dough flat and cut it with a cookie cutter.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until brown.
Photo: Lesia Polischuk