All Multimedia News Photos

Students Advocate Drop Fees

[nggallery id=35]

By Sadie McInnes

Roughly 200 students met on Gould Street today to rally in support of the Ryerson Student Union (RSU) and Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) Drop Fees movement, in the hopes of reducing Ontario tuition fees.

Despite Dalton McGuinty’s recent addition of a 30 per cent tuition grant, students are still upset because Ontario remains the most expensive province in Canada for tuition, and the grant doesn’t support mature or part-time students.

“I’m pissed off about the 30 per cent thing,” said Samantha Richards, a third-year Early Childhood Education student “I’m a mature student [and I’m not fully covered].”

Students began gathering on Gould Street as early as 11 o’clock this morning, and marched to the University of Toronto campus at 12:15.

The group traveled via Yonge Street and say they may end up protesting all night.

Protesters blew whistles, played music, and several student speakers motivated the group.  Among them was VP of education Melissa Palermo who joined in with a megaphone urging on the students.

“Let’s take over the street, it’s our street,” screamed Palermo in to the megaphone. “Education is a right and we will not give up the fight.”

Hundreds more students from U of T and George Brown College are expected to join them for the protests at U of T.