TIME for DMZ team

By Ryan Smith

This week 500px continues their streak of recognition by having its blog named as one of the 25 Best Blogs of 2012 by TIME magazine’s online Technologizer section.

The photo-sharing site from Ryerson’s Digital Media Zone (DMZ) has been nationally recognized on a list of top Canadian start-ups on TechVibes.com earlier this month.

The annual best blog list, which pays tribute to the best in blogging, was compiled by Harry McCracken, the Editor at Large for TIME.500px.com curates a community for hundreds of thousands of professional and amateur photographers to share, discuss, buy and sell photos.

According to McCracken, “its blog features some of the best of the best [of the site’s photo catalogue]… along with interviews with the creators, how-to advice and

other behind-the scenes tidbits.” These factors along with weekly photo competitions for members, has earned it the seventh place on TIME’s list.

Tech fans and frequenters of Twitter may also recognize McCracken’s name as one of the preeminent tweeters in the technology field- boasting over 50,000 followers.

McCracken points out that while faced with growing competition from social networks, blogging is still a thriving part of the internet’s culture, and is an art form that is continuing to evolve.

The best blog listing comes ahead of 500px’s annual Pixel Hack Off, a weekend-long designing and coding competition.

This annual event brings together coders and developers to create photography-related apps, using an open web, mobile, or desktop API, and compete for prizes in six different categories.

The event will be taking place onNov. 17 and 18 at the Extreme Startups headquarters at 639 Queen St. W.