Mustangs defeat Rams in Wright’s return

The Western mustangs dominated the Ryerson Rams women’s basketball team 84-52 Saturday night at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

Kelcey Wright, who made her first appearance at Ryerson since leaving for the Mustangs, scored 18 points and went 4-9 beyond the arc to hand the Rams their ninth loss of the season.

“Kelsey Wright shot the ball well today,” said head coach Carly Clarke.  “We left her more open than we would have liked.  Clearly she’s still comfortable in the gym.”

The first quarter saw the Rams come out at a sluggish pace, only scoring 13 points to Westerns 27, which the Mustangs took advantage of, pressing the attack.

Much of the Western offense came from guard Jenny Vaughan who had 30 points on the night, 13 of which came in the first quarter.

“We didn’t come out with enough intensity,” said third-year Rams guard Keneca Pingue-Giles.  “We have to be aggressive, and we let them walk all over us.”

The second quarter belonged to the Mustangs, which saw Wright hit three shots from beyond the arc, while the Rams saw points from five different players, including third year guard Silvana Jez.

Giles and Jez were the bright spots for the Rams.  Together they scored 32 of the 52 points the Rams put up.

“[Coach Clarke] told us to focus on their main players, but that didn’t really work out,” said Jez.  “We let Kelcey shoot open wide shots, we couldn’t do anything to them tonight.”

In the third quarter, the Rams came out with a surge of energy, which was led by Giles who scored 13 of her 17 points.  Rams first-year guard Julia Robertson also added two points late in the frame to help generate momentum heading into the fourth.

The fourth quarter once again belonged to the Mustangs who outscored the Rams 24-13, giving Western an 84-52 win over the Rams

“We need to work on consistent effort,” said Clarke.  “We saw periods of good effort, of good energy and execution, but we can’t put it together for forty minutes yet, we need to be able to do that.”

The Rams play their next game on Nov. 22, against the Guelph Gryphons in the W.F Mitchell Centre.