App of the week: iamsick

By Brooklyn Pinheiro

The Cloud Care Clinic, located just outside Ryerson campus at 55 Dundas St. E, is introducing virtual Walk-In-Clinic queuing with the iamsick app.

The virtual queuing feature cures the timely Walk-In-Clinic lines and allows students to stay at home and rest while moving up the line to see a doctor. The app will then notify the user when they are close to the front of the line.

“A lot of students can utilize the app and they’re our target audience,” said Kira dell Stua, marketing manager at Cloud Care Clinics. “It creates clear correspondence between clinics and students.”

The app launched two years ago in August and is available for iPhone, android, or blackberry devices, but this feature is still in the works.

The iamsick app also uses the location of your phone or a typed-in address to find the closest drug stores, pharmacies, walk-in clinics and hospitals. It provides you with hours of operation, phone numbers and social media connections for the health care facility you need.

“That would be 100 per cent useful,” said Tessa Lapierre, a second-year Ryerson photography student who just moved to Leaside.

Ryan Doherty, creator of iamsick, was inspired for the idea when he was a residence don at the University of Toronto. He noticed that there was a lack of information available to students for when they got sick.

“I think it would be useful because I don’t know where anything located in Toronto is in terms of medical services,” said Chantal Townsend, a first year history student at Ryerson.