PHOTO: OLIVIA MCLEOD

Ryerson bids on national volleyball championships

By Josh Beneteau

Ryerson has made bids to host Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) volleyball national championships. The school has applied to host the men’s tournament in 2016 and the women’s in 2017.

“There was a time facilities prohibited us from hosting these events but no longer,” said Stephanie White, associate director of athletics.

White says the CIS provides a “bid book” that highlights all the things needed to host a successful tournament. She says this includes everything from facilities and finances to hotels.

The CIS always looks for ways to provide value to the tournament. To do that, White says Ryerson is looking to work with the Ontario Volleyball Association (OVA) to host camps and other events around the tournament.

Men’s head coach Mirek Porosa said that it is an honour that athletics is showing confidence in his programs future by making the bids.

“It’s tremendous for everyone,” he said. “But especially for the athletes of this cycle.”

Alberta, Brandon, Laval and Winnipeg also made bids for the women’s tournament. Alberta, Laval, McMaster, UNB, Queen’s and Winnipeg bid on the men’s.

The CIS will now review the bids and will announce who will be awarded the tournaments in some time mid-October. White says a specific date for the announcement has not been set.

Porosa added that this doesn’t change the direction of the team and that they are on track for 2016. But he also said this wouldn’t stop his program from trying to make nationals sooner.

“To be a coach at a school that is hosting national events is exciting,” said Dustin Reid, head coach of the women’s team. “Obviously it’s one thing to bid and another to win, but we’re hopeful.”

For men, the host for this season will be the University of Saskatchewan. For women this year’s host is the University of Toronto.

Ryerson is hosting the men’s basketball CIS tournament in March, the first time Ryerson has hosted a national championships