India comes to Ryerson

By Anna Chorazyczewski

Five India-based startups will arrive at Ryerson’s Digital Media Zone (DMZ) on Nov. 2 for two weeks to further their business development.

The startups — AdSparx, Flip Technologies, Konotor, Shield Square and Vidooly — work on web and mobile-based products.

These businesses were the winners of the Next Big Idea Contest run by Zone Startups India, a joint venture consisting of Ryerson Futures and the Bombay Stock Exchange Institute, along with the Government of Ontario and IBM’s Global Entrepreneurship Program. The winners were among 200 contest applicants.

“My focus in Toronto would be to build good contacts [with] potential customers or those who can help me reach out to potential customers in Canada and US,” said Srikrishnan Ganesan, one of the contest winners and co-founder of Konotor.

“The objective of this selection criteria was to enable us to select the best five founders who can be ambassadors for Ryerson and [the] DMZ and enable us further to grow the Zone Startups India brand,” said Ajay Ramasubramaniam, director of business development at Ryerson Futures Inc.

The DMZ will provide these companies with development support and mentorship from industry experts. The startups will also have networking opportunities with potential clients and exposure to investors.