Ryerson to host women’s volleyball national championship

By Josh Beneteau

Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) announced Monday that Ryerson will host the women’s volleyball national championship in March, 2017.

Ryerson head coach Dustin Reid sent out this tweet in celebration.

Ryerson confirmed in a press release that the tournament will be played over the ice on the third floor of the Mattamy Athletic Centre. The arena capacity is expected to be 3,000 seats.

“Student-athletes from across Canada inspire young people in our communities to aim high,” said Ryerson University president Sheldon Levy in the release. “Ryerson is delighted to have the opportunity to welcome our nation’s best CIS women’s volleyball teams to our campus and city.”

Some of the athletes took to Twitter to say how excited they are that Ryerson is hosting the tournament.

Associate athletic director Stephanie White said she was notified on Friday night of the successful bid.

“There is a level of detail that goes into the bidding process,” White said. “But lots more work still needs to be done.”

Reid said that even though they are guaranteed to play in a national championship, the team direction will not change.

“I think our goal has always been a team that can contend for a national championship,” he said. “If there is a small ounce of a bitter sweet element to it, I would have liked to have qualified legitimately. But we are still going to try to do that.”

Outside hitter Veronica Livingston was “over-the-moon” about the announcement. She will be in her final year of eligibility in 2017 and hopes to graduate with a national title.

“When we were told I was doing the math in my head. 2017, ok I’m still here,” she said. “Honestly, I was speechless and am still speechless.”