Men’s basketball loses to Gee-Gee’s in bronze medal game

By Josh Weinstein

The Ryerson Rams hoped to bounce back after yesterday’s tough loss to Carleton University as they faced off against the Ottawa Gee-Gees in the Wilson Cup’s bronze medal game Saturday night. But instead, the Gee-Gees used a commanding second half performance to seal a 79-66 victory.

After both teams traded buckets early on, Ryerson extended it lead by as many as six in the first quarter an 18-14 lead heading into the second frame.

Ottawa started the second quarter on a 6-0 run to take a 20-18 lead. The Rams fought back to retake the lead (22-20) and looked confident going into halftime holding a slim one-point advantage (32-31).

The Rams confidence dissipated shortly after the third quarter began. After the Rams started the third quarter on a 4-0 run to take a five-point lead (36-31), Ottawa flipped the momentum in their favour and took their game to another level, tying the game at 36 and eventually building a 10-point lead towards the end of the quarter.

Ryerson cut the deficit to eight-points early on in the fourth quarter, but it was not enough as Ottawa extended their double-digit lead and came out victorious.

Rams guard Ostap Choliy credited Gee Gees guard Johnny Berhanemeskel for making clutch shots down the stretch.

“Johnny hit a few big shots and we missed ours,” he said. “That’s the game right there.”

Choliy added that if the team executes and carries out their game plan properly, he thinks they will be in good shape for next week’s CIS Final 8 tournament on their home floor.

Despite the loss, the Rams next play on March 12th in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) final 8 tournament at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. The tournament seeding and Ryerson’s first opponent have yet to be announced.