Women’s basketball advances to final four

By Evan Manning

Whoever is writing Ryerson’s history book is beginning to get a sore wrist.

The Ryerson women’s basketball team continued their best season ever with a complete demolition in their quarter-final matchup with the Ottawa Gee-Gee’s, 73-47, on Saturday at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

“This whole year has been a historic year for us, with our first time getting to the OUA (Ontario University Athletics) final four,” said star guard Keneca Pingue-Gilles. “We just want to keep pushing.”

Pingue-Gilles led the charge tonight for the Rams, much like she has all year. She stuffed the stat sheet, putting up team highs of 20 points, 14 boards, four assists and three steals.

It was as good a team effort as the Rams have had all year. Nine Rams players scored and seven scored at least six points.

The defence was suffocating. The Gee-Gee’s, one of the best three-point shooting teams in the OUA, were held to just 5-29 (17.2 per cent) from beyond the arc.

“We scouted out their three-point shooters and focused in on getting up our hands and being tight on them,” said fourth-year guard Mariah Nunes.

A large group of Gee-Gee’s fans showed up to this one. By the end of the first quarter with the Rams up only 15-13, their cheers were drowning out Ryerson’s.

At halftime, with the lead stretched to 11 for Ryerson, the Gee-Gee’s fans started to quiet down a bit.

The third quarter shut them all up. An 11-1 run brought the Rams lead to 47-28 and they never looked back.

A big fat cherry was placed on the cake at with one minute left in the game. Starting guard Cara Tiemens threw up a rainbow three pointer and it’s soft touch allowed it to bounce high off the rim and in.

A big edge was provided on the glass for the Rams. Their size was very evident, as they outrebounded Ottawa 51-37.

“We had a huge size advantage, especially with Sofia[Paska],” said Pingue-Gilles. “It kept them out of the paint and they didn’t get many offensive rebounds.”

With the win, the Rams advance to the final four next weekend at the University of Windsor.  They will play Queens University, who they have already beaten twice  this season.

“It’ll be tough beating them three times in one season,” said head coach Carly Clarke. “We’ll be prepared and focusing on what we need to do well.”

Photos by Annie Arnone and Jenelle Seelal