Women’s soccer coach quits

By Josh Beneteau

Ryerson women’s soccer coach Kevin Souter has stepped down from his post after four seasons.

In a press release, Souter said he will be moving his family back to his home country of Scotland this summer and pursuing other opportunities in the sport.

“With a young family I am seeking the opportunity to enjoy fatherhood at its most important time,” Souter said in the release.

Souter joined Ryerson in 2010 as a player on the men’s soccer team. After that, he was the coordinator for both soccer teams in 2011 before he was named head coach of the women’s team in 2012.

“On behalf of the Ryerson Athletic department, I would like to thank coach Souter for all his passion and dedication as a Ram,” said associate athletic director Stephanie White in the release. “His transition from being a student-athlete to a coach here at Ryerson was made easy thanks to his commitment to the program and a drive to raise the Rams’ profile. We wish Kevin and his family all the best on their new adventure.”

Under Souter the women’s soccer team went 16-43-5. In 2011, the team went 6-9-1, setting a record for most wins in a season and making the playoffs.  They tied that record this season, going 6-9-1 again but missed the playoffs by one point.

A replacement has not been named yet.

Correction: A previous version of the story said Souter only coached three seasons. He coached four.