Olivia Chow visited Ryerson on Oct. 27, the day of the mayoral election. <p align="right"> Photo: Sierra Bein </p>

What you missed this summer

Sheldon Levy weighs in on Gardiner

Ryerson President Sheldon Levy got involved in the Gardiner Expressway drama in early June, when he joined ex-mayor David Crombie and former Toronto chief planner Paul Bedford, urging Mayor John Tory to tear down the eastern part of the Gardiner. Despite the trio’s attempts, council voted 24-21 to implement a “hybrid” option that will see the renovation of the elevated roadway.

Raymond Chang gets posthumous medal

Ryerson chancellor emeritus and well-known philanthropist G. Raymond Chang was officially appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada on May 8. Chang, who passed away at the age of 65 on July 27, 2014, was announced as one of the recipients of this national order — second only in prestige to the Order of Merit — just days before his death. The order has three grades, and Chang received the second — Officer. On May 8, Chang’s wife and son accepted the award on his behalf, making him the second person at the ceremony to receive a posthumous medal.

Olivia Chow: Peace out girl scout

Olivia Chow has been approved for a leave of absence from Ryerson. In case you didn’t know, the former MP was appointed a distinguished visiting professor for the faculty of arts in February, but has since taken a leave of absence to join the federal campaign trail with the NDP. Chow is running to be an MP for Spadina-Fort York Riding in the 2015 federal election. “Contributing to one’s community is an admirable endeavour worthy of Ryerson’s support and we wish Olivia the best with her election efforts,” said Michael Forbes, a Ryerson spokesperson, in a statement.

From the Toronto Police board to Ryerson

The former chair of the Toronto Police Services Board got off that chair and came to Ryerson. Alok Mukherjee has been appointed as a distinguished visiting professor for the department of criminology. Mukherjee emigrated to Canada from India in 1971 and in 1994 began his academic career at Ryerson. Along with working in the department of criminology, Mukherjee will support Ryerson’s office of the assistant vice-president/vice-provost equity, diversity and inclusion.

Pay your tuition with Aeroplan Miles

Spending at Home Hardware and Costco could pay off your tuition — with an Aeroplan Miles card. A program called Higher Ed Points converts users’ miles into cash to pay off tuition and other post-secondary costs. Higher Ed Points has a partnership with Ryerson, and as of June 17, Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) has gotten on board too — allowing students to offset both Ryerson fees and OSAP debt. Increments of 35,000 Aeroplan miles transfer into a $250 payment to offset OSAP. Redeeming tuition payoff increments is like redeeming a flight or other reward. Once the point amount has been reached, the user inputs their credentials and selects their possible reward. It is not just the debt-holder that can pay off expenses — anyone can transfer their points, like your Great-Aunt Pearl or Louise, the hairdresser.
Correction: A previous version of this story identified Metro and the LCBO has possible stores to get Aeroplan miles. Those companies are not affiliated with Aeroplan.