Lindsay’s Advice: Study edition

By Lindsay Christopher

Lectures are boring, assignments are hard and exams are even worse. But if you are like me, the worst thing about university is all the reading. Most of the time, if you attend lecture, you don’t even need to read the book; the professor does a recap. However, if you feel the need to go to class AND do your reading, you can follow my 10 tips to make it more tolerable!

1. Do your readings right before class. Otherwise you’ll forget all the important information when the prof calls on you.
  2. Cram. Do all your readings at once before your test/exam, you won’t be as stressed out because all the information will be fresh.
  3. Only read every other week. The books get really repetitive, and you’ll end up reading the same information twice, so why do that to yourself weekly?
  4. Turn it into a game. Close your eyes and highlight randomly on the page, then only read what you highlighted. You’ll still get the gist of it.
  5. Read it like a children’s story. Use funny voices, and over dramatize everything.
  6. Pretend you’re the evening news anchor. Face forward and read it out loud.
  7. Make study snacks. Food will fuel you for that long road ahead. Plus, snacks are awesome!
  8. Switch it up. Read one page at a time from each book you need to read. It will keep you on your toes, and it definitely won’t be confusing.
  9. Do all your readings in bed. It’s best to read where you’re most comfortable. And books are boring, so if you fall asleep you’re already ready to nap.
  10. You don’t need to KNOW the material. Just memorize what you need for the test, then forget it when you’re done. Chances are you won’t need that information later in life anyway.

These rules are scientifically proven, and if you don’t follow them, you’ll probably fail your classes.