Ryerson basketball given CIS award honours

By Chris Blanchette

Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) has named Ryerson fifth-year guard Keneca Pingue-Giles, the women’s basketball Player of the Year, and men’s basketball head coach Patrick Tatham has been named the CIS Coach of the Year.

The news comes just nine days after Pingue-Giles was named the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) women’s basketball Player of the Year, as well as Defensive Player of the Year, while Tatham was named OUA Coach of the Year.

Pingue-Giles lead the Rams to a 16-3 season, claiming sole possession of the OUA East, and then captured an OUA championship last weekend when they defeated the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees 66-60. She was second in regular season scoring in the OUA during the regular season with 17.6 points-per-game, as well as averaging 6.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 4.2 steals.

The Ryerson women’s basketball team now heads to Fredericton this weekend for the CIS National Championships, where they will play their first game against the Regina Cougars, as they look to capture the first CIS championship in program history.

Tatham and the men’s basketball team will look to capture a national championship in British Columbia this weekend, after capturing the OUA Championship last weekend on their home court against the Carleton Ravens.

For more on Tatham’s coaching career, check out our feature.