PHOTO: Sierra Bein
PHOTO: Sierra Bein

Lachemi’s path to Presidency

By Al Downham

On March 31, Ryerson University appointed interim-president Mohamed Lachemi as president and vice-chancellor of the school.

Board of Governors [BoG] chair Janice Fukakusa said in a press release that Lachemi has become a “key contributor to the growth and development of Ryerson.”

Lachemi has worked at Ryerson University for approximately 18 years. While working at Ryerson, he’s been a part of several on-campus initiatives.

The upcoming president oversaw the creation of a faculty of science and launched a law school feasibility study. He promoted initiatives on-campus including Ryerson’s Centre for Urban Energy and zone learning model. Lachemi also helped bring in the “Our Time To Lead 2014-2019” academic plan that aims make Ryerson a top, forward thinking post-secondary institution.

Here’s a timeline of Lachemi’s  climb up to the top of Ryerson administration:

1998

Lachemi starts his career at Ryerson as an assistant civil engineering professor. He would eventually become the department’s chair, then graduate program director and associate dean.

2010

Lachemi is appointed to be dean.

February 2013

The former dean is announced to be Ryerson’s new provost and vice-president academic.

December 2013

Levy announces in a BoG meeting that he will not be returning for a third five-year term as president. He is initially expected to step down Spring 2015.

January 2014

The BoG officially launches a search for Ryerson’s next president with a search committee.

March 6, 2015

After failing to find Ryerson’s next president, the university announces Sheldon Levy could stay up to two years longer. Levy calls the decision “very unusual.”

August 2015

Six months later, Levy says he’ll be leaving Ryerson Dec. 1 to work as the Ontario government’s deputy minister of training, college and universities. The presidential search committee continues to look for a candidate.

Oct. 26, 2015

Ryerson announces Lachemi as Ryerson’s interim-president after Levy’s departure. The university hopes to pick a new president by spring or summer 2016.

March 31, 2016

Lachemi is announced as Ryerson’s president. He takes office April 4.

With files from Jackie Hong