Johnny Duco named interim head coach of Ryerson men’s hockey team

By Daniel Rocchi

Ryerson Athletics has named former associate coach Johnny Duco as the interim head coach of the men’s hockey team, the university announced Monday.

Duco has been with the Rams for the past three seasons. He spent two seasons as an associate head coach with the Bradford Rattlers of the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League (GMHL) before joining Ryerson’s staff as an assistant in 2013.

During the 2012-2013 season, he led the Rattlers to a 42-0-0 regular-season record and a Russell Cup championship title. He also coached three seasons in the Greater Toronto Hockey League (GTHL).

Duco played collegiate hockey in the NCAA with Oswego State and Buffalo State, graduating with a bachelor of science in health and wellness before completing a master’s degree in science and education at Medaille College in Buffalo.

Duco replaces Graham Wise, who announced his retirement in June after 10 seasons as Ryerson’s head coach. Wise’s retirement becomes effective on Sept. 1.

Ryerson’s athletics department has stated that the search for a new head coach will begin in early 2017.

The Rams finished sixth in the OUA West division last season with a 14-13-1 record. They defeated the Waterloo Warriors in the first round of the OUA playoffs before being eliminated by the Guelph Gryphons in the OUA West semi-finals.

Ryerson opens the 2015-2016 season at home against the Laurier Golden Hawks on Oct. 6.