Men’s soccer: Rams top Queen’s in quarter-finals, advance to Final Four

By Adriel Smiley

• Jamie Baker scores in second session of extra time
  • Rams advance to OUA Final Four for fourth straight season
  • Ryerson to host all remaining playoff games at Birchmount Stadium

Ryerson’s men’s soccer team is going to the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Final Four after a 1-0 extra-time win against Queen’s University at Downsview Park on Sunday.

Both teams struggled to score in the first 90 minutes. But with seven minutes left in the second extra time frame, Rams forward Jamie Baker broke through traffic in front of the net with a pass from forward Andrew Diasand scored the only goal of the game.

Baker, was taken out moments after putting Ryerson on the board. After the goal, the team went defensive for the last seven minutes of the game.

In the first half, Ryerson had Queens on their heels with good opportunities in the box early. The animosity between the two teams began with a yellow card by Queens late in the first half.

The second half was controlled by the Rams offence, fueled by the play of Raheem Rose. The tension from the first half continued resulting in penalties on both sides and some shoving that didn’t escalate further. Forward Luka Lee had a few good shots on goal and Queens had chances late in the half, but things remained scoreless through regulation.

The Rams had the best opportunity of the game with a penalty shot by Rose in the tenth minute of extra time. His attempt was denied and followed up by a second yellow card to Robert Boskovic, leaving Ryerson a man down. But the Rams wouldn’t be denied, securing the win with Baker’s late strike.

UP NEXT: The Rams are back in the OUA Final Four for the fourth straight season and are the top-seeded team in the east division. Ryerson will play the second seed from the west division, the Guelph Gryphons, at Birchmount Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 5. Kick-off is at 3 pm. All Final Four games, including the OUA final, will be played at Birchmount.