Men’s hockey: Fine, Mistele, Basso named to OUA FISU training camp

By Daniel Rocchi

Ryerson men’s hockey players Michael Fine, Matt Mistele and Alex Basso have been named to the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) training camp for the 2017 International University Sports Federation (FISU) World University Games.

Fine is currently on pace for the best season of his Ryerson career. The fifth-year centre leads his team in goals (9) and points (18) and is tied for first in powerplay goals and game-winning goals with three each. The Rams captain also sits second in team penalty minutes with 35. Before Ryerson, Fine scored 82 goals for 217 points in 314 career regular-season games in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL).

Mistele has played in seven of Ryerson’s 13 games so far due to injury, but has two goals and six assists in those games. The first-year forward also scored 125 goals for 224 points in 273 OHL games before coming to Ryerson.

Basso has once again been a defensive mainstay for the Rams this season. The third-year blueliner has 12 assists for 14 points in 13 games, and had 38 goals for 158 points in 280 OHL games prior to joining the Rams.   

Fine, Mistele and Basso will attend a four-day training camp in Caledon, Ont. at the end of December. Twenty-two of the forty athletes invited to the camp will represent Canada at the FISU games in Almaty, Kazakhstan from January 25 to Feb. 10.