Women’s hockey: Rams fall to UOIT in double-overtime

By Will Brown

• Rams out-shoot UOIT 50-29
  • Alex Rodriguez scores twice for Ryerson
  • Ryerson, UOIT in three-way tie with Queen’s for 9th in OUA

Ryerson’s women’s hockey team lost 4-3 in double-overtime against the UOIT Ridgebacks on Saturday afternoon at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

Shanelle Doucette scored the game-winning goal in three-on-three play as the Rams lost their second game in three nights, despite outshooting the Ridgebacks 40-19 in regulation. UOIT goalie Briar Hughes finished with 47 saves.

The loss drops the Rams record to 3-1-4-3, while UOIT moves into a three-way tie with Ryerson and Queen’s for ninth in the OUA.

[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”301″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_slideshow” gallery_width=”678″ gallery_height=”452″ cycle_effect=”fade” cycle_interval=”5″ show_thumbnail_link=”0″ thumbnail_link_text=”[Show picture list]” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]
Defender Alex Rodriguez’s second goal of the night near the five-minute mark of the third period gave Ryerson their second lead of the game, but a four-minute double minor penalty to leading scorer Kryshanda Green allowed the Ridgebacks to tie the game with a minute and a half left in regulation.

Ryerson took the lead early in the second on Danelle Im’s first goal of the season, but a rebound off Rams goalie Rachel Seeley allowed OUIT to tie the game with less than five minutes left in the frame. Seeley was pulled after allowing two goals on 10 shots. Sydney Authier stopped 17 of 19 shots in relief, but gets tagged with the loss after surrendering the overtime game-winner.

Ryerson allowed the opening goal for the seventh consecutive game, when Sammie Forchielli scored just five minutes into the first period for UOIT. Rodriguez tied the game later in the first with a wrist shot that beat Hughes through traffic.

UP NEXT: The Rams face the Laurier Golden Hawks at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Thursday, Dec. 3 in Ryerson’s final game of 2016. Puck drops at 7:15 p.m.