Illustration: Alanna Rizza

Changing programs isn’t the end of the world

By Urbi Khan

Choosing programs can seem very daunting and many people feel as if it’s the be-all and end-all. But little do they know, it doesn’t  have to be like that. You may have chosen a program that doesn’t  fit with what you have in mind for your future plans, or may be looking forward to your program of choice, but once you get into it, realize that it’s not right for you. Switching out of programs is OK, and after all, you need to study what you want to study. At Ryerson, or any university, switching programs is something commonly done.

With the start of another new academic year, and with many students just starting their university studies and adventures at Ryerson, keep in mind that you do have the option to switch into a program that you feel more comfortable with, and that it’s never too late to do so.

Paris Salmon-Wright, a second-year English student decided to switch out of her first program of choice, journalism, during her first year of university. She says she felt distant and never fully enjoyed the journalism curriculum.

“I always found myself disliking my journalism courses. I also really disliked the competitive aspect of the program,” said Salmon-Wright. “A community and a supportive environment were never created and I never felt safe.”

Salmon-Wright says that she is now excited for her English courses and that she adores her professors because she feels that she can discuss any challenges she faces.

First-year business technology management (BTM) student Fatima Khalid chose to switch out business management during her first year of studies last year. She said that business management was too broad in terms of career options, so she felt that she was not working towards a fixed goal.

“There were seven areas of focus to choose from in [business management] which was a bit much for me,” said Khalid.

Khalid says that business technology management is a unique blend of business and IT, and this aspect of the program appealed to her.

Both students now feel that they are better equipped for preparing for their respective futures.

Salmon-Wright says that after she is done with her English program, she has many career paths to choose from.

“I feel like I would love to teach or go into publishing, and for grad school I would continue with English literature or even head to law school,” said Salmon-Wright. “I feel like I have options and in journalism I didn’t.”

Khalid says that she is excited to start business technology management. “I am looking forward to the IT aspect of managing a business. My ultimate goal is to become a business analyst and BTM is the perfect choice for pursuing in career in that,” said Khalid.

If you find yourself unhappy with your program, don’t be afraid of taking some time away from school, dipping your toes in different subjects and finding what makes you happy.