Photo: Hung Le

Rams pull off decisive victory over Laurier at School Day Game

By Hayden Godfrey

The hot streak continues. In front of a massive crowd of excited kids on the morning of Feb. 1, the Ryerson Rams men’s hockey team cruised to a 6-2 victory against the visiting Laurier Golden Hawks for their fourth straight victory.

The Rams opened it up with a bang, getting on the board 49 seconds in when Mathew Santos notched his 20th goal of the season off a Hayden McCool pass at the right faceoff dot.

Though the Golden Hawks responded minutes later—evening things up with a Danny Hanlon goal—Santos once again gave his team the lead, this time on a spectacular top shelf wrist shot with eight minutes remaining in the frame.

After an uneventful first half of the second period, the Rams extended their lead to 3-1 when Golden Hawks goalie Tyler Fassl misplayed a Steven Harland shot, which was then tapped in by David Miller for his fifth of the season.

Following a Laurier goalie change, the Rams added yet another goal when Marcus Hinds slapped a loose puck past Olivier Lafreniere. Hayden McCool tacked on his 11th of the season, and the Golden Hawks answered back with a goal of their less than a minute later to close out the period.

Though the shots were 22-19 in Laurier’s favour after two periods, the Rams had a commanding 5-2 lead.

At the beginning of the third period, Santos once again found the back of the net for the hat-trick, causing some of the youngsters in attendance for the annual “School Day Game” to throw their cardboard helmets on the ice in celebration.

“He’s been playing really well,” Rams head coach Johnny Duco told The Eye after the game. “We spread out our lines to give teams a different look. He’s had an incredible season”.

UP NEXT: The Rams will host the visiting University of Toronto Varsity Blues Saturday night at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. Puck drop is schedule for 7:15 p.m.