Image of suspect taken from security camera footage
Courtesy of Toronto Police Service

Man charged in connection to sexual assault on campus

By Abeer Khan

A 31-year-old man has been charged in connection with a sexual assault that occured at Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) on Wednesday. 

The alleged assault occurred on Oct. 26 at 6:30 p.m. in a bathroom in Kerr Hall East, according to a security incident report on the school’s website. 

The Toronto Police Service (TPS) has charged Robert Roye Ruddock with forcible confinement, sexual assault and failing to comply with a release order. 

Ruddock allegedly followed the woman into the bathroom and sexually assaulted her. He then fled the scene, according to a news release

The Eyeopener previously reported that TPS was asking for the public’s help in looking for a man in relation to the alleged sexual assault.

An email was sent to TMU students on Oct. 27 around 3 p.m. notifying the community of the alleged assault on campus. 

“On October 26, TMU Security was advised of an incident in Kerr Hall. Due to the nature of the event and consultation with Toronto Police Service, we are sharing this information,” the email read.  

In a statement to The Eyeopener, the school said their “primary concern is for the health and wellbeing of the individual impacted. The university is taking steps to provide support and services. It is critical that we respect the right to privacy and confidentiality of the individual impacted.”

Ruddock appeared in court Saturday morning. 

With files from Edward Djan and Thea Gribilas