A student becomes distracted away from midterm prep and begins scrolling on Netflix
PEYTON KEELER-COX/ THE EYEOPENER

TV shows to binge-watch while (not) studying for your midterms

By Victoria Sofia Vesovski

Binge-watching is more than a mindless act of consuming multiple episodes in one sitting. It’s become a way of life, something some people plan into their calendars.

That being said, binge-watching a show is sometimes easier said than done. In fact, some people might spend more time looking for a show to watch than studying for their midterm exams. 

Instead of aimlessly scrolling through the recommended sections of Netflix or Amazon Prime Video,  here is a list of carefully curated, binge-worthy TV shows and where to watch them.

Gossip Girl (Crave)

The classic Gossip Girl Thanksgiving episodes capture the essence of the fall season. However, it seems like Thanksgiving brings much more than turkey and pie on the Upper East Side. Throughout the six seasons of Gossip Girl, lies, arguments and betrayals take no holiday breaks.  

If you are binging Gossip Girl this fall, look out for the drama in season three, episode 11, “The Treasure of Serena Madre,” where it-girl Serena Van Der Woodsen brings home a married politician to stir the pot. 

Big Little Lies (Hulu)

Big Little Lies is a dark comedy following the lives of five of the wealthiest women in Monterey, Calif. These women appear to have perfect lives until the façades come crashing down when they find themselves involved in a full-on murder scandal. 

Throughout the series, viewers are constantly searching for answers to two prominent questions: who has been murdered and who committed the crime, which will boost the urge to binge this series. 

How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix)

As spooky season approaches, it is the prime time to binge a lengthy thriller like How to Get Away with Murder

The mystery of who killed sorority girl Lila Stangard leaves the boundless lead, Annalise Keating, to fill in the blanks of that night. While doing so, she discovers the skeletons in her own closet, as well as those of five of her law school students. Annalise will do anything to protect the ones she loves, the same way she will do anything to win a case. And when she’s caught between the two, anything is possible. 

Gilmore Girls (Netflix)

There is something so warm and cozy about watching Gilmore Girls this time of year. Fall is a season of transition, whether it’s starting at a new school or simply feeling the changing weather. Viewers get to accompany Lorelai and Rory as they navigate life in the small town of Stars Hollow.

Whatever stage you’re at in life, Gilmore Girls has something for you. Moving through the seasons and life events with the lively characters in this show will really make you feel like you’re part of the Gilmore family. 

Stranger Things (Netflix)

This sci-fi drama, set in the 80s, follows the disappearance of Will Byers, who was taken by a monstrous creature into an alternative dimension called the “Upside Down.” This rift between worlds leaves Will’s friends to solve the mystery with the help of Eleven, a girl who was raised in a lab to have telekinetic abilities. 

If you want to get a head start on spooky season, tune in to the Stranger Things Halloween episode, “Chapter Two: Trick or Treat, Freak” in season two. 

Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin (HBO Max)

Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin puts an even darker spin on the haunting drama that seeps into every corner of the town of Millwood, Penn. A reboot of the 2010 hit, Pretty Little Liars, this show follows a new group of liars as a mysterious and vengeful figure, “A,” begins to haunt them over a tragedy that involved their mothers in 1999. 

If you were a fan of the OG drama, Original Sin is sure to be a nostalgic-yet-fresh watch.