Breaking News
Graphic: Elana Emer

BREAKING: TMU men’s soccer allegations ‘resolved’ following independent investigation 

By Ilyas Hussein and Daniella Lopez

Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) has announced the men’s soccer season will resume as scheduled following the completion of an independent investigation into “concerning behaviour,” the university said in an emailed statement to The Eyeopener on Oct. 10.

“Given the allegations, the university retained a third party to conduct a thorough and independent investigation,” per the updated statement. “Based on the findings, the men’s soccer season will proceed as scheduled.”

The situation started developing on Sept. 2 as the men’s soccer team forfeited both matches on their season-opening weekend against the Laurentian Voyageurs and the Nipissing Lakers. 

“Our men’s soccer team will not be able to play this weekend. We will be defaulting the games and if there are any other changes to the schedule, we’ll let you know,” a TMU spokesperson told The Eye on Sept. 2 through email. 

Following the forfeits, TMU announced the suspension of all men’s soccer team activities until further notice and opened an investigation following a report of  “serious and concerning behaviour,” the university said in an emailed statement to The Eye on Sept. 4. 

“A report has been received by the university alleging serious and concerning behaviour. The university is investigating fully and the activities of the men’s soccer team have been suspended until further notice,” read the full original statement. 

The university did not confirm any details surrounding the report or the alleged behaviours. 

A few days later, TMU announced the team would play their home opener on Sept. 9 in an emailed statement to The Eye on Sept. 8.

“Based on the investigation to date, the university has determined that the home opener scheduled for Saturday, September 9th can proceed. The university continues to assess and address the situation as appropriate.”

As a result of the forfeited matches, the Bold were given automatic 3-0 losses to both the Voyageurs and Lakers, per the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) regulations. Currently, the team holds a 9-3 record—second in the OUA East division. 

TMU said they will provide no further comment on the situation or release details of the investigation to protect the “privacy and confidentiality of all those involved.”

Per the updated statement, the university deemed the matter “resolved.”

This story was updated on Oct. 10 with more information and comment.