A composition of athletes and their respective teams during the summer
(Photo assets supplied by Aaron Rhooms, Riley Donovan and Elisa Paolucci. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION: SAMMY KOGAN/THE EYEOPENER)
All Frosh Sports

Beyond the OUA: What TMU athletes get up to during the summer

By Ria Sidhu

Aaron Rhooms did not have much of an off-season.

Instead of a break from his sport, the Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) Bold men’s basketball guard spent his summer in Edmonton playing in the Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL) with the Edmonton Stingers. After being drafted fifth overall in the CEBL-U Sports draft, Rhooms hit the court in 10 of the Stingers’ 20 games from May up until a Western Conference semi-final loss to the Calgary Surge on Aug. 4.

Rhooms said the CEBL experience was the highlight of his summer, not just for the on-court growth but also the opportunity to explore Edmonton, enjoy it’s natural beauty and appreciate how much basketball is loved across Canada.

“I didn’t know how important basketball was out there until I got there,” he said. “The love that we got as players…just walking around Edmonton… people know the Stingers.”

Rhooms’ summer is a sample of the way TMU athletes stay active in their sports during the off-season. Whether honing their skills in professional leagues, coaching the next generation or balancing multiple jobs, the summer presents these athletes with a rare opportunity to step away from the intense demands of being a student athlete and focus on themselves and their passions.

“I get to pick the brains of older guys and players who have more years of experience”

Christina Karaiskakis, a third-year business management student entering her second year on the TMU track and field team, has been training and competing with the Toronto-based Blue Devils Athletic Club throughout the summer. The Blue Devils, operated by TMU track and field assistant coach Tristan Markov, have also given her the opportunity to keep in touch with her teammates during the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) off-season.

With only a short break between the indoor and outdoor track seasons, Karaiskakis has remained focused on improving her strength and staying in tune with her body.

“I see the progression I’ve made from when I first started in the indoor season to my first outdoor season. It’s honestly a mental game for me because it’s such an individual sport … at the end of the day, you’re the only person running your race,” said Karaiskakis.

She said she is proud of her productive summer and reflects on her athletic improvements since she started running competitively about a year ago. As a result, she’s found that being able to train and race throughout the summer has kept her fit and motivated.

“One thing I love to go by is ‘if you believe it, you can achieve it’ because if you don’t believe in yourself, you’re not going to set the goals you want and you’re not going to achieve them,” she said.

In the summer, just like during the school year, she balances classes, working part-time and training multiple days a week.

“I know it can be a lot but I know I have that time management. I know I can do it,” she said.

For other TMU athletes, the off-season means returning home to decompress from their academic lives and spending time with their families. While training and keeping healthy remains important, the off-season allows them to explore other passions beyond the court, track or arena.

Riley Donovan, a third-year outside hitter on the TMU men’s volleyball team, returned home to Sydney, Australia this summer after wrapping up exams in April. Since then, Donovan has been coaching volleyball and travelled to Canberra, Australia for a few days to train with a national senior men’s team camp.
Donovan said he’s enjoyed staying active by playing golf and beach volleyball with friends during his break.

“I’ve definitely found time to catch up with friends I hadn’t seen since I left for Canada and hung out with my family as well…I don’t see them a whole lot so it’s been good to really take the time and just be around them,“ he said.

“The busyness kind of never stops”

Donovan has found the slow-paced environment at home to be a refreshing change from his busy school year. Being around the support of his family while taking on fewer responsibilities has given him the chance to recharge before the upcoming season. Up until mid-July, he was focused on training with the state of New South Wales before heading to the U23 nationals in Adelaide, Australia where they won gold.

“It was really cool to be a part of a team that had a lot of fun off the court, then on the court we would play focused, which was pretty similar to the TMU team,” said Donovan.

With a gold medal in hand, he said he looks forward to getting back into the gym and reconnecting with his teammates to work on tactical strategies ahead of the season.

While some athletes travel back home, others like Karaiskakis and Bold women’s soccer players Amy MacLellan and Elisa Paolucci remain in Toronto and found a way to play their sport during the break.

MacLellan, a fourth-year defender, and Paolucci, a second-year goalkeeper, have spent their summer playing for Scrosoppi FC, a League 1 soccer club based in Milton, Ont. The team is managed by TMU lead assistant coach John Yacou.

Paolucci mentioned how many TMU women’s soccer players finished the OUA season and went straight to play for Scrosoppi FC. She said along with soccer and a trip to Portugal, her summer included lots of hanging out with teammates.

“We’re never apart. We’re super close,” Paolucci said.

Living in Etobicoke, Ont., she practices three to four times a week with additional private goalkeeper training and regular workouts to stay fit for the upcoming OUA season. In her limited free time, Paolucci even coaches U11 girls’ soccer.

“The busyness kind of never stops,” she said.

MacLellan has spent her summer competing with Scrosoppi FC while bouncing back and forth between Mississauga, Ont. and Toronto trying to balance lifeguarding, training and working at SickKids hospital.

“I would say my focus is more health, work and athletics in the summer,” she said.
Despite her busy schedule, she found time to be more serious about golfing and has enjoyed the chance to explore new courses.

“I’ve definitely found some time to catch up with friends I hadn’t seen since I left for Canada”

Ultimately, the off-season is a time of growth and preparation for TMU athletes. It provides them all with an opportunity to recharge, reflect and set new goals for their upcoming seasons. Rhooms’ summer epitomizes this as he put his focus towards making the most of the CEBL experience.

Though he played for the Scarborough Shooting Stars in the CEBL in 2023 and knew what he was up against in the professional league, it was a competitive challenge that kept him ready for the OUA season.

“When I was around in Edmonton, or any part of the CEBL, [I was] playing with pro players. These are guys that either have NBA experience, NBA G League experience or overseas experience, so you get a different caliber of play,” said Rhooms.

For Rhooms, the CEBL features faster games, stronger players and more strategic gameplay than the OUA. He found the exposure particularly valuable for his development as he had the chance to learn from experienced players like Jacob Evans III, who played with the Golden State Warriors during their 2018 championship run.

“That’s a benefit for someone like me who’s still in [university]. I get to pick the brains of older guys and players who have more years of experience,” he said, adding that the higher level of play helps on and off the court.

“Being around professionals and seeing the way they act… showing a different passion towards their craft, I think that’s something that I can bring back to the team.”