First-year defender Reilly Flesher celebrating after scoring her first goal for the TMU Bold women's soccer team
(SAMMY KOGAN/THE EYEOPENER)

Rookies shine as Bold secure 3-0 win over Excalibur in season opener

By Sebastian Zucchet

The Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) Bold women’s soccer team kicked off a new era on Friday evening as they took on the Trent Excalibur in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) women’s soccer season opener at Downsview Park.

The match started off pretty evenly with players on both sides trying to find their feet in the first game of the season but eventually, familiar and new faces for the Bold broke things open.

Bold assistant coach John Yacou said he is looking forward to the “new era.”

“The recruits we have brought in have bought into the system we’re trying to play, the attitude and the culture. The togetherness,” said Yacou, who served as head coach for the game.

The first 10 minutes did not bring much action, except for when third-year midfielder Jazz Dev lobbed the ball over top of the defenders then beat the keeper to it before lobbing it over the keeper and into the goal. It seemed Dev had opened the scoring, but it was deemed offside—a call that came with protest from a strong contingent of Bold fans.

Second-year defender Kennedy Pryce transitioned from a fullback last season to play right wing tonight, as it seemed Yacou was experimenting with team positions. Pryce made an instant impact in the first half and was able to use her fierce pace to blow past the Excalibur defenders several times, though she found herself offside a few times.

Pryce enjoys the challenge of working in a new position.

“It’s fun being able to create for all the players and bring creative opportunities,” said Pryce.

“In that first half you get the rough stuff and then continue going, making adjustments. And obviously the coaches helped,” added Pryce.

Chances kept coming and eventually Pryce found herself through on goal once again in the 18th minute. She was tripped up by the Excalibur first year defender Emma Silva, resulting in a penalty kick for the Bold.

Third-year defender Taliyah Walker had a golden chance to open her account in the 2024/25 season when she stepped up to the penalty spot.

The third-year defender—who takes on a more attacking role—struck the ball to the left hand side of the goal, but it was saved with an incredible effort from the second year Excalibur goalie Victoria Ivey-Town and the Bold could not convert the rebound.

With the game still 0-0 in the 31st minute, assistant coach John Yacou decided to make some changes to freshen up the side and ensure a strong end to the half for the Bold. Fourth-year midfielder Emily Di Natale was subbed out for second-year midfielder Allison Brayman and a few players moved positions, changing the dynamic for the side.

The changes seemed to work, as a great chance fell to the Bold in the closing stages of the first half when Pryce burst through the defence once more and had her shot bounce off the post.

• first-year defender Reilley Flesher crossing the ball
  • Bold players hugging while the Canadian anthem is playing
  • Third year forward Aalayah Lulli screaming to the referee claiming a foul on second-year forward Kennedy Pryce
  • Third-year defender Taliyah Walker shooting for goal
  • first-year midfielder Mera Saleh celebrating, with other players of the team in the bleechers, her first goal with the TMU Bold

As half time fell, it was clear the Bold were the better side, but needed to find a way to break through.

“We said stick to what we talked about, stick to the plan and then in the second half we’ll get the goal,” said Yacou “Let’s just get one and then worry about what goes on.”

The Bold made a few changes for the second half, including bringing on first-year midfielder Mera Saleh. The Bold players appeared inspired by Yacou’s half-time words, as they came out flying. Pryce found herself in space but her shot was once again off the post.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 56th minute when Pryce collected her own rebound and passed it to first-year defender Reilly Flesher, who launched it into the top left corner. A strong performance for the rookie in her debut was stamped with a goal.

“It was just a lot of adrenaline. [I’m] excited for the opportunity again. Just wanted to kind of prove myself and play for the team,” said Flesher.

The Bold took control up 1-0, as they began to apply a lot more pressure and create more chances It didn’t take long for TMU to pad their lead. Five minutes later, Walker smashed her way through the box and fired a shot that produced a rebound that fell right to the feet of third-year forward Aalayah Lully. Lully slotted the ball into an empty net to make it 2-0.

Flesher wasn’t the only rookie who marked her debut with a goal. Saleh, the second-half substitute, sealed the match when she scored to make it 3-0 with just over 15 minutes to go. She celebrated ecstatically by running over towards the home crowd and jumped for joy with her teammates.

The team dynamic going into this season is optimistic and full of expectation, according to Flesher.

“I think we’re going to do well this year,” she said post-game. “We have the work ethic and Coach John has his eyes set on Nationals, so we’ll see how that goes.”

Pryce said the chemistry of the team is in a “really good” place.

“Even off the first two weeks, we’ve all clicked, we’re all close in age and we get along really well,” said Pryce.

UP NEXT: The TMU Bold will host the Queens Gaels on Saturday, Aug. 31 at Downsview Park in their second match of the season. Kick-off is set at 1:00 p.m.