Two TMU Bold women's soccer players in white jerseys chase down a ball alongside two Queen's Gaels players in yellow uniforms
(JAINABA LOUM/THE EYEOPENER)

Gaels’ aggression, speed prove too much for Bold in 3-0 loss

By Daniel Carrero

The Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) Bold women’s soccer team lost 3-0 against the Queens Gaels in a physical and tumultuous game at Downsview Park on Saturday afternoon. 

After kicking off the season with a 3-0 victory over the Trent Excalibur on Friday, the Bold faced a strong and organized side. Queens, who finished second in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division last season, started the 2024-2025 season with a stomping 4-0 victory over the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks on Friday afternoon. They kept rolling on Saturday.

“Over the years we took Queens as an easy loss,” said second-year defender Vanessa Pianta. “So this year coming off a result with less goals was a testament of the team we have this year.”

The Bold came out to the pitch with a 4-3-3 formation, displaying third-year midifielder Jazz Dev and first-year midfielder Natalie Moynihan as double pivots. In her first start for the Bold, first-year midfielder Mera Saleh took on a more attacking position up the pitch with a number 10 role. 

During the first 30 minutes of the game, both teams didn’t harm each other. As they attempted to drive the ball to the final third of the pitch but both lines of defence were very strong and did not allow any progression. 

Pianta commanded the Bold’s defence and allowed them to maintain the score 0-0 up to that point. 

“Every game before we step on the field, we tell each other to play for the people beside us,” said Pianta. “Especially wearing the [captain’s armband] it’s just a little bit more pressure to play.”

• TMU player Tierra Bennett steps into a Queen's player in a number 21 jersey.
  • TMU player Aalayah Lully and two Queen's players watch as a soccer ball flies out of bounds near a coach at the sideline.
  • A TMU player and a Queen's player battle for a soccer ball beside the net while two other TMU players watch on.
  • A TMU women's soccer player and a Queen's player chase a ball in lockstep.
  • Women's soccer players chase a ball near the sidelines in front of TMU fans, including mascot Frankie the Falcon.

Queens quick foot movement posed some threat to the Bold and in the last 10 minutes of the half, the Gaels dominated the game. 

In the 39th minute, the constant pressure from the Gaels finally broke the Bold. Third-year midfielder Lily Goss, from a set piece, assisted with a low driven pass to third-year midfielder Seema Sakran. The attacker found the ball in a perfect position to smash it into the top right corner, leaving second-year goalie Elisa Paolucci with nothing else to do but watch the ball go in. 

The Bold reacted instantly to the goal and didn’t hold back to attack the final third of the pitch. In the 43rd minute, the referee called a handball from Queens third-year defender Clare Sun inside the box and conceded a penalty.

Moynihan stepped to the penalty spot and shot to the left hand side of the goal. Fifth-year goalie Kirstin Tynan read the shot perfectly and saved the penalty to send the game to halftime with the Gaels ahead 1-0.

“With the first goal, we were still in it and we were ready to get back in their half and try to score,” said Dev. “But then they got another one.”

The Bold tried keeping the momentum afloat after half time. Nonetheless, after 20 minutes of a solid display from TMU, the Gaels found gaps and mistakes in the Bold’s defence. Second-year forward Lily Coish, found some space just outside the box and sent in a curve shot that hit the far post and past the goal line.

With the second goal, TMU’s morale started to crumble and in the 69th minute, the Gaels finished the job.

After a misplaced pass by fourth-year defender Tierra Bennet to the goalie, Gaels first-year midfielder Sam Caputo grabbed the ball and brought it around Paolucci. With no goalie protecting the net, Third-year forward Morgan Fenton received the ball and after evading her mark, the Grimsby, Ont. produced, tapping in the ball to make it 3-0.

“That third one really brought us down,” said Dev.

When the game only had five more minutes of regular time, Bennet disputed a ball with third-year midfielder Kendra Couto and went to the ground on her right shoulder. After recovering, she was subbed off with a bandage surrounding her entire arm and back.

• Players for the Queen's Gaels women's soccer team celebrate a goal while TMU Bold players look sullen. A referee has his arm up.
  • TMU Bold women's soccer player Tierra Bennett remains in the air after hitting a ball with her head in front of her own goalkeeper.
  • Soccer players battle for a ball. One player has their arm around another's chest
  • In the stands behind soccer players in the middle of a game is a man in a grey "Queen's dad" shirt
  • TMU Bold women's soccer players in white jerseys (and some in blue t shirts) gather after a game. One player has her hands on her head

The players still finished the game with chins up knowing Queens is a tough matchup.

“We had pretty high expectations because energy-wise, our girls were ready to go,” said Dev. “I’m still proud of the girls because we [fought] to the last minute.”

The team now looks to improve their form before the next game against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues and continue to remember that “winning mentality.”

“It’s going to be a good game, you know?” said Pianta. “It’s our rival team, rival school.”

UP NEXT: The Bold will play against across-town rivals, the University of Toronto Varsity Blues on Friday, Sept. 6 at Varsity Stadium. Kick-off is set for 6:00 p.m.