FLOWERS NEXT TO VIGIL
(SAMMY KOGAN/THE EYEOPENER)

Students host vigil honouring the thousands of civilians killed since Oct. 7

By Eyeopener staff

The Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) at Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) held a vigil on Gould Street on Oct. 7. The event marked one year of war between the State of Israel and Hamas, which has killed thousands of civilians. 

The vigil started at 12 p.m. and was hosted to honour and remember those who have died since the war began in October of 2023. 

According to a post on the SJP’s Instagram, students were encouraged to stop by the vigil from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. and bring flowers to commemorate. 

Members from the SJP held a list of civilians’ names who died in the past year and community members could add the names onto the large canvas banner, which was placed on the ground surrounded by flowers.

The SJP scheduled two other events as part of their “week of rage,” including an information table on Oct.10 and a surprise action which included a canvas tarp draping in the Sheldon and Tracy Levy Student Learning Centre on Oct.11.  

The scene of the vigil was filled with flowers, faux candles and students—as well as other TMU community members—stopping to write names down as different chants repeated throughout the vigil. 

Organizers of the event were not comfortable being interviewed or providing comments at the time of the vigil.