Campus News News

Rye left out of Garden bids

By Tom Bartsiokas

Ryerson is not part of proposed redevelopments of Maple Leaf Gardens—at least for now.
An E-mail issued to Ryerson staff and faculty in February revealed the university’s interest in being part of any new development of the hockey shrine.

But Bob Hunter, senior vice-president of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, the company that owns the historic arena, said this week that Ryerson’s not involved with the final three proposals still under consideration.

“I know they indicated an interest to us previously,” Hunter said. “To my knowledge, they’re not involved.”

Linda Grayson, Ryerson’s v.p. administration and student affairs, confirmed the university is “not connected with any of [the development plans].”

Ryerson president Claude Lajeunesse said there has been no progress since the E-mail, which outlined the university’s interest in the Gardens for “classroom and residence space and a permanent home for [Ryerson’s] hockey team.” But neither he nor Grayson ruled out the possibility that future plans could include Ryerson.

“We sure would like to sit down and talk about it if a developer had ideas involving Ryerson,” Grayson said.

Hunter said the winning redevelopment proposal will be announced in the next month.