Campus News News

Biz student starts RyeSAC talks

By Siri Agrell

Students who want to send RyeSAC a message now have an outlet. Third-year business student Judy Okten has organized a series of forums where students can discuss where RyeSAC should be focusing their efforts.

“I found there wasn’t a lot of back and forth between students and RyeSAC, and I wanted to open up the dialogue,” Okten said.

The first two forums were held on March 8 and February 22 at Oakham House. About 25 students from different faculties attended the meetings which were hosted by Okten and RyeSAC’s v.p. Administration-elect Darren Cooney.

During the hour long meetings, students discussed what they felt should be RyeSAC’s priorities, and what they wanted to see accomplished.

“The big thing that came out of the focus groups was a lack of unity,” said Okten. “There’s a lack of communication between groups, and students don’t feel like they’re a part of an institution—it’s demoralizing.”

There will be two more forums this year, before Okten compiles the information and look for trends in students’ concerns. She will then present her findings to RyeSAC.

“Whatever they choose to do with it is up to them, but at last it’s a starting point,” she said.

RyeSAC’s current executive hasn’t been involved with the meetings so far, but are looking forward to seeing the results.

“It’s a great idea, and we’re waiting to receive the final product,” said Odelia Bay, next year’s RyeSAC president. “But I always hope that we’re open enough that students who have any concerns can walk in and tell them to us directly.”

The next meeting is on March 15 at 5 p.m. in Oakham House.