STUDENTS TAKE OUT THEIR ANGER ON TUITION

By Kody Kunz

The Continuing Education Students’ Association of Ryerson (CESAR), the Ryerson Students Union and many students from Ryerson University, York University and the University of Toronto stood up and raised their voices on the Day of Student Anger towards Premier Dalton McGuinty’s tuition “unfreeze” last Wednesday.

“This is a way for the students to express their anger and frustration,” said Nora Loreto, VP education of the RSU. “The National Day of Action was very successful, but the government just ignored our demands.”

The group marched towards the building of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities at Bay and Wellesley Streets. A considerable number of staff and students blew horns, whistles and sirens, shouting out their demands using megaphones.

A bright blue and yellow banner was unfurled in front of the building, displaying the words “Reduce Tuition Fees NOW!”

Robyn Shanks, a fourth-year journalism student was among the crowd.

“I’m here to help reduce tuition fees, make a little bit of an impact, and spark some conversation,” she said over the chattering group. “Every little bit helps.”

While the event wasn’t as big as the February 7th Day of Action, when more than a thousand students joined together to march through the U of T campus, Loreto didn’t seem to care.

“It’s not really about the number of people who join, it’s to get the message out,” she said. “So this is more of an information picket towards the people.”

She also said the Canadian Federation of Students is working hard to get people to vote for what they think is the right party in the federal election that may be called for in October.

Since the Harris government came to power in 1995, tuition fees have climbed. Some students and staff are fed up with the lack of effort being put into the issue.

“One of the most important issues is student awareness,” remarked Celia Jutras, a student rights co-ordinator at CESAR. She came out to the event to express her concern with poverty.

“I mean, what are people going to do a few years from now?”