What to do in case of an earthquake on campus

The likelihood of an earthquake in Toronto is low, and it’s even less likely that there would be substantial damage to campus buildings.

But just in case, Ryerson has a set of emergency procedures in place. According to vice-president administration and finance Julia Hanigsberg, any natural disaster has the potential to

impact the structural integrity of buildings, or to break gas mains, live electrical wires and cause fire.

Ryerson has developed evacuation plans for every building. There are specific procedures for evacuating people out of the Early Learning Centre, which is the campus daycare, and how to assist community members with disabilities.

The 840 students in residence would be re-located to interim housing, according to administration.

The centre for Environmental Health, Safety and Security Management (CEHSM) website advises students, faculty and staff to follow these procedures:

• Stay indoors, if already there. Emergency evacuations will be made when it is safe to do so.

• Sit under sturdy furniture or against central inside walls.

• Stay away from glass windows and doors.

• Do not use elevators.

• Avoid using the telephone, unless you are in a life or death situation.

• If you are outside, stay away from buildings, bridges, and utility wires.

• Avoid running through or near buildings where there is danger of falling debris.

• Buildings will be evacuated after the earthquake, after-shocks, and tremors have stopped. Do not re-enter any building unless you receive permission from Security and Emergency Services.

— News Editor Emma Prestwich

Illustration by: Lee Richardson