Women’s volleyball makes history

By Josh Beneteau

The Ryerson women’s volleyball team made history last weekend – becoming the winningest team in the program’s 33-year history, after picking up their eleventh and twelfth victories of the season against Western and Windsor.

“It is incredible,” said rookie outside hitter Veronica Livingston. “It just made me feel even more proud to be a member of this team.” The team has won 10 games twice – in 2002 and 2005.

But just as impressive as the record itself, is how quickly they’ve gotten there. Two years ago, the team went 1-18.

“I’ll admit that when people ask, it’s cool to think that our team’s been where no women’s volleyball team at Ryerson has been before,” said outside hitter Emily Nicholishen.

“But at the same time I haven’t remotely thought about it until it’s been mentioned.” With every player on the roster eligible to return next season, this season’s record may not stand for long.

“The thought of playing with these girls for another couple years – growing with them, getting better together, strengthening our bonds – is amazing,” said Nicholishen. “We’re [fortunate] to be able to play with each other for so long because it will make our core just that much stronger.”

With two games remaining, the Rams will try to not only improve on their record, but also their playoff position.

While Saturday’s game against RMC (2-14) is very winnable, they’ll want to beat the Queen’s Gaels in Sunday’s season finale. The teams are currently tied for third place with 24 points.

“We’ve been battling with Queens for third all year,” said head coach Dustin Reid. “[It’s] a chance to move up a seed.”

Regardless of what happens this weekend, the Rams can finish no lower than fourth and are guaranteed to play at least one postseason game at home.

“We have gradually been building up towards our best performance,” said Livingston. “Hopefully that shows in [the] playoffs.”