The Bandsintown app displayed on a tablet.
Courtesy Google Play

App of the Week: Bandsintown Concerts

By Sylvia Lorico

Bandsintown Concerts helps users find concerts in their areas based on their music choices. The app is available for free on Android and iOS.

Users are required to sign up for the app using an email address or with Facebook. The app requires access to users’ locations services to generate lists of shows close to them.

Bandsintown Concerts analyzes music apps including Soundcloud, Spotify and Google Play Music to find artists on a person’s device. Then it generates a list of concerts based on the artists found on playlists. Recommended concerts lists are found under the “cloud” tab of the app.

You can control whether you see concerts based on your playlists or recommendations by sliding a dial at the bottom of the screen closer to “tracked artists” or “recommended.”

Under the “concerts” tab, the app will list all upcoming concerts it has selected based on your music. You can view them under the “all” tab.

If you click on a concert, Bandsintown Concerts will let you view the date, location and full lineup of performers for it. You can purchase tickets directly from the app via Ticketmaster or other websites like Toronto Theatre.

You can filter concerts by date or radius under the settings tab of the app.

Another feature is the ability to link the app to Facebook, Twitter or your contacts. This lets you view which concerts your friends plan to attend and to share any upcoming concerts with them.