Your handy guide to student mental health resources

In CommunitiesLeave a Comment

Reading Time: 2 minutes

By Cameron MacIntyre

It’s time to start settling in for a grey and icy winter, and for some, that can mean seasonal depression. It’s a good time for students to take advantage of Ryerson’s resources for mental health and well-being.

Personal techniques

ThriveRU uses the principles of positive psychology to provide training to Ryerson students through a resilience training program. They also have a Cultivate Your Happiness Workbook designed to complement each week of the academic semester.

If you are or know a student in crisis or distress, Dr. Diana Brecher, the founder of ThriveRU suggests you, “Urge the student to seek professional help…That being said, it can be very helpful to augment those services with learning how to become more resilient, how to thrive.”

ThriveRU can support students that are in counseling, waiting for counseling sessions or for students who are not seeking counseling at all.

Additionally, the Student Health Assistance and Resilience Program (SHARP) is a peer-to-peer support program for students who are looking for support in making a health or lifestyle change, available Monday to Friday in POD 250C.

Professional services

The Centre for Student Development and Counselling is staffed with psychologists and counselors who offer free confidential counseling to students in JOR 07C. They can also connect you to the Ryerson Safe House if you are experiencing the risk of abuse or living in unsafe conditions.

For those seeking a doctor, the Ryerson Medical Centre in KHW 181 is the place for physical and mental health appointments. The Centre for Women and Trans People in SCC 210 is an inclusive space for all self-identified women on campus to find support, referrals and additional resources.

Online resources

Good2Talk (1-866-925-5454) is a confidential helpline for all Ontario post-secondary students seeking counseling or referrals regarding mental health and addictions. The Toronto Branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association (416-977-5580) provides support focusing on mental health and well-being.

If you are in crisis, both the Gerstein Centre (416-929-5200) and Distress Centre of Toronto (416-408-4357) can help.

If you are a full time student residing in Canada, Ryerson’s Student Health and Dental Plan can help cover the cost of ambulances, prescription drugs and health practitioners.

You can also take an anonymous mental health assessment at through the Ryerson Student Union. Any questions concerning Ryerson’s Student Health Plan can be answered in the SCC lobby or by calling 416-979-5255 x 2311.  

While this is not an exhaustive resource list, it is a guide for where to start. No matter how small or how severe your experience may seem, you deserve to feel well and to get access to help.

Leave a Comment