Breaking News
Graphic: Elana Emer
Campus News COVID-19 News

UPDATE: Ryerson announces mostly online winter semester

By Libaan Osman

All courses at Ryerson for the 2020-21 academic year will be largely facilitated online, according to a statement from university president Mohamed Lachemi on Sept. 17.

“While an eventual return to campus is something the university continues to actively plan for, our upcoming winter 2021 semester will largely remain unchanged,” wrote Lachemi. “The majority of course offerings will be offered virtually, with in-person, on campus activities as permitted by government guidelines.”

The decision came after the provincial government announced new gathering limits in the city of Toronto with a reduction to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors.

In the announcement, Lachemi said certain programs will allow for in-person activities in small groups with the expectations that they will follow safety guidelines.

The university will also pay particular attention to provide safe access to labs and physical resources for students who need them to fulfil their graduation requirements, he said. 

Back in May, Lachemi announced that the fall 2020 semester would be offered online with the potential of a mix of online and in-person courses.

In-person classes at Ryerson have been suspended since March 13.

Classes have been conducted online as students are advised to avoid coming to campus in the fall semester unless they need to for necessary activities such as in-person class assignments.

The Sheldon and Tracy Levy Student Learning Centre and study spaces in the library will remain open, operating at limited capacity with safety guidelines for students who need a quiet place to work. The Mattamy Athletic Centre is also open on a reservation basis. 

Lachemi told The Eyeopener that the government won’t be imposing any additional restrictions that would force students living in residence to have to move out. 

“Students who are in residence, they selected to be in residence knowing that most of the activities are going to be…virtual.”

Since the start of the fall semester, both Wilfrid Laurier University and McMaster University announced they will be delivering their winter 2021 semester primarily online.