PHOTO: UNSPLASH
All Campus News COVID-19 News

The COVID-19 safety protocols you need to know before returning to campus

By Heidi Lee

This article has been updated as of September 3, 2021 to reflect the most accurate information from the university.

As Ryerson prepares to increase the number of on-campus classes and activities for the fall 2021 semester, the university has implemented a number of safety precautions and policies for visitors. 

Students are encouraged to avoid coming to campus unless necessary—only when they attend in-person classes or have pre-approved appointments.

Here’s what you need to know before coming to campus:

Health self-assessment 

Students are expected to complete a health self-assessment through the RyersonSafe mobile app or the RyersonSafe Health Screening webpage before arriving on campus. 

The form asks students to indicate the buildings they will be visiting and their approximate arrival and departure times. Students are also required to answer health screening questions. 

Staff members might ask students additional screening questions before they’re allowed to enter a building.

Students must also bring their one card if they wish to enter a campus building.

Disclosing vaccine status

On Aug. 13, Ryerson announced that students will be required to attest to their vaccination status in order to come to campus.

Students living in residence must receive their first dose before their move-in date, while student-athletes are required to be fully vaccinated by Sept. 16.

The vaccine must be approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization, such as the Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, AstraZeneca or Janssen vaccines.

Students who are not fully vaccinated or who don’t wish to disclose their vaccination status and plan on coming to campus must provide a negative COVID-19 test result.

The university stated that proof of vaccination will be required during the winter term, where a full return to campus is anticipated. No further information has been provided yet.

Although the Ryerson community COVID-19 pop-up vaccination clinic closed as of July 29, the Ryerson Medical Centre will offer vaccines to Ryerson community members. Students can also book an appointment with their closest vaccination clinic through Ontario’s vaccine booking site.

Mandatory masks

Last July, a face mask policy was passed to ensure that face masks are worn by individuals visiting campus.

Visitors must wear a mask or face covering in public indoor spaces. Individuals are not required to wear a mask when there is a designated area allocated for the individual by the university or when a physical barrier is in place. 

Masks could be removed when individuals are eating, drinking or carrying out physical activities.

The university noted that the policy doesn’t apply to children younger than two years old; individuals with an underlying medical condition; people unable to wear a mask without assistance; or those who are reasonably accommodated for not wearing a mask in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.

Supporting documents are not required for individuals listed above.

Ryerson students must comply with the policy as they’re subject to the student code of non-academic conduct. 

Students will now only be required to maintain a one-metre distance after the provincial government announced that colleges and universities would no longer be required to be physically distant in classroom settings nor will there be class capacity limits. 

Ryerson community members will still be required to wear a mask at all times in indoor settings “in a manner that covers their mouth, nose, and chin.”

Onsite Services

Booking is required for students if they wish to access services on campus.

The Sheldon and Tracy Levy Student Learning Centre (SLC) will be available for students starting on Sept. 7, while the Collaborative and Group Work Rooms will operate at 50 per cent capacity. The Library will also provide onsite services for students.

The Mattamy Athletic Centre requires students to book a workout slot prior to their arrival, and masks are mandatory even when exercising.

In-person shopping is available at the Campus Store, however, the university suggests students order online. Between Aug. 30 and Sept. 24, the store will offer free shipping within Ontario on orders over $75. A curbside pick-up program will also be available until Sept. 24.

Starbucks at The SLC, the Kinetic Café in the George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre and The Market in the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be opening this semester, staffed with attendants to assist students with their needs.