The Rams women's hockey team in blue jerseys celebrates
PHOTO: MARIO RUSSO

Six goal game helps Rams bust out of slump

By Mario Russo

An explosive three-goal first period paved the way for a 6-2 victory for the Rams Women’s hockey team over the York Lions, picking up a crucial three points Saturday afternoon at the Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC).

Following the contest, Rams head coach Lisa Haley acknowledged the reason why the team keeps pushing through adversity. 

“We are all here for the right reason and that’s for team success,” said the Rams bench boss. 

The Rams were ready to feast on the visiting Lions right out of the gate, stringing together a trio of consecutive goals before many even found their seats.

Rams forward Avery Horlock mentioned the offensive explosion was something the team really needed and brought their spirits back up. 

Just under two minutes into the first period, Horlock opened the floodgates for the Rams. The third-year forward bulldozed her way in before sliding the puck through the legs of York goaltender Dominique Chuaqui on the first shot of the game. 

“[It] definitely feels good especially [being] our first goal of 2022,” said Horlock. 

Less than a minute later, Emily Baxter’s cannon from the left hash marks powered its way to the back of the Lions goal to double Ryerson’s lead. 

Lauren Nicholson would be the final Ram’s forward to join the goal parade in the first, finishing off her fifth of the season for her side’s third tally in almost as many minutes. 

“Everybody wants to get points every single game,” said Haley

A timeout taken by York ensued following Nicholson’s dagger. The Lions began to compose themselves and penetrate the offensive zone. 

Courtney Gardiner would reward the Lions efforts with her team-leading eighth point of the season, beating Rams goaltender Rachel Seeley below the glove on a breakaway rush. 

A late offensive push from the Rams capped off a wild opening stanza for the home side, relieving all doubts amidst a two-game goalless streak. 

“Today was the right type of game [and] the right type of atmosphere,” said Haley.

The only streak left for the Rams to shatter was their four-game losing skid and the second frame lined them up to do just that. 

Midway through the period, Seeley was greeted with yet another breakaway opportunity and a shot at redemption with Gardiner streaking in. Seeley read the Lions forward perfectly, eating up the short side attempt to keep the two-goal lead intact.

The two teams exchanged goals within the final minutes of the second, with Mia Morano’s top-shelf tally being met with Lions forward Ellen Donaldson and her backhand goal to bring York back within two. 

After a pair of highly offensive periods, the two teams wrapped up the second frame with the scoreboard favouring the Rams 4-2.

The blue and gold would tack on a pair of empty netters before closing out a quiet final period of hockey, picking up an important trio of points to keep their playoff hopes alive. 

“We’re all striving towards the same goal, we all want it badly,” said Horlock.

UP NEXT: The Rams hit the road to take on the Nipissing Lakers on Feb. 23. Puck-drop is set for 5 p.m.