Landscape view of an exciting wood working event occuring in front of Pitman hall
PEYTON KEELER-COX/ THE EYEOPENER

Five spots TMU students can volunteer for in Toronto

By Samreen Maqsood

Whether you’re new to Toronto or have lived here your entire life, the city is full of events that are always looking for extra volunteers to lend a helping hand. 

Here are a few spots throughout the city that Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) students can volunteer for.

CIBC Run for the Cure

The Canadian Cancer Society reported in 2019 that one in four Canadians will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. Run for the Cure is an annual charity run dedicated to breast cancer—one of the most common types of cancer, according to the Canadian Cancer Society. 

This year’s run is on Oct. 2 and needs volunteers to help with the event planning. Positions include fundraising, social media marketing, site set-up, entertainment coordinator, corporate engagement and more. 

Volunteers are asked to look at all the available postings within their community or send an email to volunteer@cancer.ca.

Great Lakes Plastic Cleanup

Toronto borders Lake Ontario, one of the five Great Lakes in North America. These lakes are the largest bodies of freshwater in the world, but over 20 million pounds of pollution end up in them every year. 

The Great Lakes Plastic Cleanup (GLPC) is a campaign that uses different types of technology to help remove plastics from the Great Lakes. According to the GLPC, 10 million kilograms of plastic are dumped into the Great Lakes each year. 

The group accepts volunteers on a rolling basis, so students can fill out the form at any time.

Global Medic Canada Pakistan Flood Response

According to BCC News, one-third of Pakistan is currently under water, impacting an estimated 33 million people. Global Medic is a Canadian charity that provides disaster relief and humanitarian aid. 

The group is looking for volunteers to help pack emergency kits for families affected by the floods. Each kit includes a household water purification unit, solar light and essential hygiene items. 

Kits will be shipped to Pakistan and given to families. Students can sign-up for various volunteer positions online.

Meals on Wheels

The Canadian Red Cross is looking for volunteers for its Meals on Wheels program in Etobicoke, Ont. 

This program delivers meals to people unable to attend to their own nutritional needs but still want to live independently in their communities. 

The organization is also looking for volunteers for their mobile food bank, which provides food hampers to those people who cannot access local food banks in-person. 

Volunteers are accepted on a rolling basis. More information about signing up can be found through the Meals on Wheels’ website.

Tzu Chi Community Clean Up

Tzu Chi Foundation Canada is an international humanitarian nongovernmental organization. They have worldwide volunteers that actively promote recycling and reduce carbon footprints. This year, they are hosting a community clean-up on Sept. 24 at Mel Lastman Square. Cleaning supplies such as gloves and trash bags will be provided along with a snack at the end of the day. 

Students can sign up to volunteer on the Tzu Chi Foundation Canada’s website.