A TMU Bold men's soccer player in a white jersey prepares to throw the ball in on the sideline
Keiran Gorsky/The Eyeopener

Bold win streak grows with 15-0 beatdown of RMC

By Shawn Heerema

It was a commanding performance by the Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) Bold men’s soccer squad, as they defeated the Royal Military College (RMC) Paladins 15-0 on Saturday afternoon at Downsview Park.

The team’s 15 goals is a program record at TMU. The win marks 19 straight wins for the team over the Paladins, as they improve their season record to 3-2, with two victories in a row.

“The guys came in, got the job done early, first half, and I think gave a lot of guys that haven’t been playing a lot this season some minutes and fitness,” said Bold captain Sean Fafinski. “I think a lot of our guys proved their worth today.”

Despite RMC largely controlling play early in the game, it was Bold striker Zakaria Abdi who potted the first goal, sneaking it past RMC keeper Colin Burns at the 10 minute mark. Abdi finished the day with a hat trick on the day. 

This seemed to open the floodgates for the Bold, who scored another four before the half ended.

Azaan Sayed put a chip over Burns to make it 2-0 and Fafinski tucked in a close-range header to increase the lead further. Sayed finished the day with two goals while Fafinski stole the show with five of his own. 

Later in the first half, Karamvir Mehmi added to the Bold’s tally and Abdi scored his second of the game at 41 minutes to close out a dominant 45 minutes of action. 

The Bold picked up right where they left off to start the second half as Sayed scored his second just four minutes in.

They scored eight more goals in the half, with Fafinski netting another four. 

“I know everyone wanted to get on the scoresheet, get some confidence,” said Fafinski. “It’s good that our two strikers, Ameer [Kinani] and Zak [Abdi], scored some goals, cause we know we need to get the confidence high for the bigger games coming up.” 

The Bold will face Queen’s at Downsview Park on Sunday afternoon as they look to maintain their spot in the national top 10 ranking and grow their win streak to three matches.

“Queen’s is always a tough match…they’re technically very good and physically very good as well,” said Fafinski. “We know home and away against Queen’s is a tough match, it’s gonna be a tough game. But we know we have to get the job done tomorrow.”

UP NEXT: The Bold take on the Queen’s University Gaels on Sunday at Downsview Park. Kick-off is set for 3 p.m.