A hockey player in a white jersey battles with a player in a purple jersey
KONNOR KILLORAN/THE EYEOPENER

Bold body Mustangs to stamp out losing streak

By Mikayla Guarasci

The Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) Bold women’s hockey team skated to a 5-0 victory over the University of Western Mustangs on home ice at the Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC).

Saturday’s win broke a four-game losing streak for the Bold.

“We came out a little bit slow, but I think once we found our rhythm, we were great,” said Bold head coach Lisa Haley. 

The game started with strong pressure from the Mustangs, which led to Bold penalties. Olivia Giardetti and Lauren McEachen went to the box for slashing and cross-checking, leaving TMU to kill off almost 1:30 of five-on-three time. Goaltender Lauren Griffin and the penalty killers held it down, and just seconds after the end of the second penalty, Cailey Davis scored her first Ontario University Athletics goal to put the Bold up 1-0.

That wasn’t the end of TMU’s first-period success. With 4:33 to go in the period, Bold forward Brooklyn Gemmill scored her fourth of the season to give the Bold a 2-0 advantage heading into the first intermission. The Bold led 13-9 in first-period shots.

The Bold started the second period with over a minute of five-on-three power play but were unable to capitalize with the man advantage.

With 8:15 to go in the middle frame, Gemmill got the puck to the front of the net where Erika Crouse was waiting. Crouse took the puck and put it top shelf off her backhand over Mustangs’ goalie, Ella Brabrook, extending TMU’s lead to 3-0. Giardetti and Gemmill added assists to bring them both to two points in the game. 

“You just have to look at the score sheet to see how they did their jobs offensively,” said Haley. “We obviously lean on them to drive our offence in a lot of ways, and they definitely brought that part of the game.”

Haley also commended the line on their defensive play, specifically on the penalty kill. 

The Bold made every second of the period count as forward Dani Fox scored with just over one second remaining to send TMU into the final period with a comfortable four-goal lead.

TMU was able to hold their offensive pressure in the third period, and with 7:45 to go in the game, Crouse scored her second of the night for a 5-0 win.

“Part of our game plan tonight was trying to get those second efforts around the net,” said Haley about her team’s offensive performance. “I was really happy to see everything come together for us tonight. It’s kind of like when it rains, it pours, so I’m glad it’s pouring right now.”

The night saw a difficult end as TMU veteran Giardetti went down with a serious injury. She was taken off the ice by paramedics, with her coaches and teammates there to support her. 

Griffin, a rookie goalie, recorded their first Ontario University Athletics (OUA) win and shutout in Saturday’s game, making 18 saves. Brabrook stopped 27 of 32 shots for the Mustangs in the loss.

“Lauren was dialled in from the get-go…solid every step of the way, especially when we come out to a slow start,” said Haley. “Really proud of how they stepped into this opportunity and embraced it.”

UP NEXT: The TMU Bold women’s hockey team will play the University of Waterloo Warriors on home ice on Friday, November 11. Puck drop will be at 6:00 pm.