Toronto Metropolitan University's Independent Student Newspaper Since 1967

Category: Communities

Page 81/95

Communities

Event Recap: Sisters in Spirit Vigil

October 4, 2010
Tonight was the fifth annual Sisters in Spirit vigil. The vigil, which took place in over 70 cities across Canada, attracted crowds of Ryerson students and community members alike to commemorate the lives of missing and murdered Aboriginal women and girls. The Eyeopener was present at the Allan Gardens vigil. We weren't able to capture any of the tragic songs, passionate speeches or personal poems, but we were able to captures images from the solemn night.

Communities

A Wardrobe for all seasons

September 27, 2010
It’s that fickle time of year again, when we desperately try to transition our wardrobes from summer to fall and, let’s face it, the calendar month and the weather do not coordinate. Yes, we’ve been though this before, yet we still find ourselves jumping prematurely into our heavy fall wardrobe and sweating all day, or freezing whilst trying to keep summer alive. Here are a few simple tips to make this year’s transition into fall as easy, comfortable and stylish as possible without the midday wardrobe changes.

Communities

Be a jerk to fight off sickness

September 24, 2010
It all starts with one person. Someone shows up in your classroom or your office (or your newsroom) with a mild case of the sniffles. You and your peers offer some sympathy, but barely take notice. But soon his or her sniffles turn into a full blown cold, complete with runny nose and impromptu sneezes. Before you know it, everyone else is sick to. I’ve seen this happen too many times to count, but this year, I won’t let myself get caught in this cycle, and neither should you. Here are a few rude tips that will help you ward of cold and flu for as long as possible.

CommunitiesVideo

VIDEO: Pop it lock it

September 17, 2010
The Urban Hip-Hop Union at Ryerson strives to prove that hip-hop not only a lifestyle, but a culture. They definitely made a believer out of first-year journalism student Christina Dun, who let the Eyeopener get a sneak peak into the world of UHHU by allowing us to document her audition for UHHU's very selective dance team. If selected, Christina would go on to compete at the Ontario University Competition for Hip-Hop with the rest of the team.