"Take turn at girl's behinds...somegirls would say stop, I'd say I'm not" - 2 Live Crew's 'offensive lyrics'
All

Rude rap rips Ram in the Rye

By Hamida Ghafour

A social work student offended by a song played at The Ram in the Rye is demanding DJs use more sense.

“I’m not for censorship but I’m asking for some respect… and consideration for women,” said Rachel Brandeis. A first year social work student.

She was at the Ram in the Rye on Jan. 15 with a group of friends when the DJ, James Martin, played “We want some pussy” by rap group 2 Live Crew.

The song included the words “suck dick,” “bitches,” and “take turns at girls’ behinds… some girls would say stop, I’d say I’m not.”

Brandeis believes this endorses rape and is inconsiderate to women.

Martin refused to stop playing the song after someone complained.

The social work students were shocked and disgusted, especially the women, said Brandeis.

She wants to know if songs like these will be played during future pub nights at The Ram in the Rye.

Martin, 31, said the song was requested and that’s why he refused to stop playing it.

“I think it’s a stupid song personally,” he said adding he didn’t think it advocated rape.

“I don’t want to get on a political soapbox … but censorship is oppressive.”

David Steele, RyeSAC v.p. administration , said Ryerson doesn’t have strong censorship regulations.

“Historically, university censorship is more liberal than societal norms,” Steele said.

Since the DJ didn’t say the words himself, Steele said not much can be done.

“The issue is with the artist, not the messenger,” said Steele, but he added it is a legitimate concern.

Though this is the first time such a complaint has been made against Martin, who has been DJing at Ryerson for two years, Steele said he is going to talk to him about the incident.