News

Battle tuition hike

By Allison Heather

If you’ve got a beef about tuition, next Monday is your last chance to make a protest sandwich.

RyeSAC is holding an emergency meeting for Ryerson students, faculty and staff on March 30 at 4 p.m. in the Hub. At 5 p.m. they will head to the board of governors meeting to present petitions and a motion to freeze tuition fees for the 1998/99 academic year.

“It’s being billed as the last chance,” said Gord Tanner, RyeSAC’s VP education.

RyeSAC hopes as many students as possible come show the board they want no tuition increase.

The board of governors’ meeting to pass next year’s tuition fees was to be held April 27. RyeSAC was concerned about this date because most students wouldn’t be around to do anything about the final decision.

“To accommodate us,” said Tanner, “they said they’d have a meeting on March 30.”

There are three options for tuition next year. The first if a zero per cent increase and the second is a seven per cent increase followed by a 12.15 per cent increase the following year. The third is a 10 per cent increase followed by a 9.09 per cent increase the following year.

“We’re very disappointed,” said Tanner. “It’s either all or nothing.”

The board of governors are ready and waiting for the meeting.

“We are anticipating some presentations by students about their concerns regarding the rising [cost of] post secondary education,” said Ed Valin, secretary of the board of governors.