News

Rye constructs building bid

By Tammy Thorne

A new centre for computing and engineering will be built on the southeast corner of Gould and Church streets if the province approves Ryerson’s proposal.

The school’s property of the Rogers Communications Centre is now a parking lot. But with the province offering to help pay for building projects, Ryerson administrators are determined to rip up the asphalt and build more classrooms.

“We have a strong proposal and a terrific case to make,” said Linda Grayson, v.p. Administration and student services.

Universities and colleges across Ontario are sending proposals to compete for a share of the SuperBuild Growth Fund. The $20-billion public-private fund was introduced in the province’s May pre-election budget, but the criteria weren’t announced until less than three weeks ago.

Grayson says Ryerson proposed a building for the engineering faculty because of student demand for those programs. Electrical and aerospace engineering programs had an enrolment increase of 20 per cent last year.

High-tech programs to be housed in the new building also meet one of the SuperBuild fund’s criteria: The proposals must contribute to the economy.

The province’s other criteria are the number of new students projected, demonstrated student demand and corporate or private funding to compliment the government funding.

Grayson suggested the building would have corporate sponsors, but wouldn’t elaborate.

“As we speak, initiatives are underway,” she said.

Director of university planning Paul Stenton said a second building proposal is also in the works. It would probably be located on the parking lot south of Gould street on Bond street.