News

University set to crack down on cheaters

By Hamida Ghafour

It’s up to the university to come up with a solution to deal with fire alarms during exams, and it should write a policy to deal with students who cheat on group projects.

These were among the nine concerns Liz Hoffman, the university’s ombudsperson, outlined in her second annual report released Wednesday.

Her report covers the school year from June 30, 1998, to June 30, 1999.

A number of students complained last year they didn’t get a good mark on their exams because someone ruined their concentration by pulling the fire alarm.

Linda Grayson, v.p. administration and student affairs, mentioned a hall monitor and surveillance cameras some of the possible solutions the school will look at later this fall.

Grayson added that the school will come up with a set of guidelines in the next 18 months to deal with groups of students who cheat on group projects.

Some of the other concerns raised in the report were the need for profs to understand they can’t automatically fail a student if plagiarism is suspected.

The report wasn’t all bad news though.

Hoffman praised president Claude Lajeunesse for becoming more accessible to students and staff for working together to make sure the TTC strike didn’t interfere with exams.

Hoffman said, overall, the office has been “a success story” because the school has been very co-operative.