Campus News News

Day of Protest

Students Walk 

By The News Team 

The canadian Federation of Student’s Access 2000 campaign will climax Wednesday with a national day of protest calling for a tuition freeze and an end to deregulation. Protest facts:

• Over the past year and a half, the $2 million lobby budget for CFS has been almost exclusively devoted to Access 2000, said CFS spokeswoman Liz Carlyle.
  • RyeSAC plans to set up picket lines at the north and south entrances of Jorgenson Hall and outside the Ryerson parking garage. They’ll hand out leaflets and stop people to tell them about the campaign.
    Dennis Mock, v.p. Academic, has declared students won’t be penalized for missing class Wednesday.
  • Over 25 busloads of students will come to Ryerson from universities out of town.
  • RyeSAC hopes to distribute more than 1,000 placards, 1,500 whistles and 100 toques during the protest.
  • Musical acts as Maestro and the Reostatics are scheduled to play for protestors at the Phoenix Concert Theatre following the rally. Only 1500 tickets will be distributed during the march, so those who don’t get inside will be directed to the Ram in the Rye, where Ryerson bands will perform.

CFS prepared for crowds

By Sandy Chronopoulos

Armed with orange and yellow neon traffic vests, walkie-talkies and arm bands, parade marshals will be out in full force for the Access 2000 protest Wednesday.
“If anything happens, we will be prepared for ti,” said Catherine Goulet, Access 2000 Ontario organizer.

Over 100 marshals from across Ontario have been trained for the event. The marshals will direct the crowd along the parade path and motivate them by leading chants. They’re also intended as a buffer between demonstrators, traffic and possible counter-demonstrations.

Organizers have asked police to work alongside the parade marshals to maintain order, but parade marshall and third-year journalism student Dave Wightman said marshals have to fend for themselves.
“Police aren’t protecting us,” he said. “We are our own security force.”

As a precaution, a St. John’s Ambulance crew will be at the event and in contact with organizers by radio.