Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Biscotti

By guest blogger Stephanie Maris

The only thing better than a pumpkin spiced latte is enjoying one with a freshly baked cookie.  But what if you were able to bake a cookie so sumptuously sweet and deliciously spiced that, when paired with even the most banal of instant brews, could surpass the priciest Starbucks treat?

I present to you an ideal cookie recipe that captures the flavours of fall and a crunchy texture  just perfect for dipping: the pumpkin spice biscotti.

The word “biscotti” comes from the Italian for ‘twice-baked,’ which relates to the cooking process that involves baking the dough, cutting into it, and baking it again on both sides. This crunchy process makes for a cookie that will hold its shape when dipped into a foamy latté and, more importantly, one that will stay fresh well into exam season.

Pumpkin Spice Biscotti

• ½ cup pumpkin purée
  • 3 ½ cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar (brown or white)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tbsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves
  • ½ cup blanched almonds

Method:

• Preheat the oven to 375F.
  • Combine pumpkin, eggs, sugar, vanilla and spices in a large bowl.
  • Combine flour and baking soda in a seperate bowl, then gradually add the mix to the first bowl.  Mix thoroughly.
  • Roll dough in blanched almonds, pressing firmly to ensure they stick to the dough.
  • Divide dough in two and place both halves on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Squish down until each half is about ½-inch thick and as long as the sheet is wide.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes.
  • Remove the biscotti from the oven. When cool enough to touch, slice into strips that are ½ inch wide.
  • Lay cookies flat and bake for another 6-10 minutes.
  • Remove from oven. Flip cookies to the opposite side and bake for another for 6-10 minutes, watching carefully to make sure the cookies do not burn.
  • Remove, let cool and enjoy with a mug of homemade coffee.

Photo by Stephanie Maris