Feds invest $2M in Ryerson internships

By Sarah Del Giallo
Biz & Tech Editor

Ryerson University has received a $2 million investment from the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario). The investment will support graduate internships in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).

The investment, part of Canada’s Economic Action Plan, was announced at the Digital Media Zone (DMZ) on August 30. It comes on the heels of last fall’s $750,000 investment for undergraduate internships in the same areas.

Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy said the investment will help place 150 interns in small to medium-sized businesses for six-month internships.

“It’s a great investment not only for our university, but for Canada,” said Levy.

There will be 15 companies collaborating with Ryerson to help interns gain business experience to compliment their scientific knowledge.

Richmond Hill MP Costas Menegakis announced the investment on behalf of Gary Goodyear, Minister of State for FedDev Ontario.

While Ryerson is known for excelling in the arts, Menegakis said it is also a university that deserves an investment in the areas of STEM.

“Ryerson is being recognized for its tremendous innovations in the DMZ,” he said. “We believe that Ryerson is on the leading edge.”